Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cape Town

After winning my kite from Ozone, their reps in CT suggested I come up and do the IKO instructors course with them. Having no plans or obligations, I agreed.

It felt both strange and familiar to be living alone again in a town of new faces and a few old friends. Staying in the backpackers I felt this overwhelming sense of panic and I never felt quite safe (this has nothing to with the backpackers but with the traumatic events of last year and my feelings of distrust towards people.)

The course was really interesting and we covered topics such as teaching methods, aerodynamics, weather and equipment. It felt great to engage my brain again.

On the first full moon of the year, one of the guys announced there would be a full moon kite? 'Excuse me?' I said, thinking I may have misinterpreted what he said because of his heavy german accent. "A full moon kite, we go kiting tonight". So with much persuasion I wriggled on my wetsuit and started setting up my kite at about 7pm. A truly surreal experience with a sunset and moon rise at apposing horizons, the wind was strong and constant and I flew through the evening air on my little 5m kite, dodging the silhouettes of other kiters but never saying anything.

The course grew my passion, skills and love of kiteboarding. It was an exciting thing to pass and I am now qualified to teach worldwide, just another tool to help me in my love of traveling.

The grounds getting warm and its time to move on, I will be greeting Langebaan tomorrow for a month of kiting and teaching.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment