![]() |
| Bye Boat ! |
I quickly climbed up the ladder , onto the boat and down my hatch. I looked around for anything I may have forgotton. The simple, wooden cabin looked bare without mine and Richard's mess scattered everywhere. I became sad thinking about all the memories this tiny space held. It had kept us safe during storms out at sea, me and Richard had slept there , side by side for months. Goodbye cabin, goodbye boat...
![]() |
| The HOK |
![]() |
| Me with the surfboards that cost me a grand to get here |
18 hours in Sau Paulo airport! what a long layover. We had a Big Mac meal for breakfast and then 'set up house' . We found a corner and then put our surfboards at right angles to form a 'hok' which we climbed inside and put our bags against the wall as pillows. The time was spent by watching series, singing very loudly ( I get silly on airport air), doing poi, making bangles and eating fast food. It was pretty enjoyable but by check in time I was keen for a hot bath and a normal bed.
We reach check in counter carrying a backpack, a surfboard and hand luggage bag each. The lady asks for our passports. We hand them over. She looks at Richard's Italian passport and asks if he has had a yellowfever injection. He says ...noo. She says...You may not board this flight but you can speak to the manager . She leads us to this little office and it feels like we are on Border Security!
This was such a nightmare! We got told that Richard was not allowed to board without South African identification or proof of a yellow fever injection, we had neither. His SA passport was in Trinidad with his dad, who didnt even have a phone. They suggested he stay in Brazil for another 2 weeks and have the yellowfever injection. 2 WEEKS!! Richards exams started in a few days time, we didnt have any money to stay in Brazil longer. We hadnt showered in 2 days and this was just too much. They let me call my mom to explain the situation and after balling my eyes out, I think the managers didnt want these two barefooted dirty hooligans in their country and by some miracle let us board the plane.They said we would have major problems at South African customs.
We were overjoyed! We could go back to the motherland! Running to the airport gate we screamed with ecitement and celebrated with alcoholic beverages aboard good old South African Airways. We had a wonderful 8 hour flight. Beautiful African airhostesses, delicous food and a wonderful sleep. Looking at the Atlantic from above the next morning, I grew sad thinking we just crossed the vast ocean in less than 8 hours when it had taken us 2 months in the yacht.
![]() |
| Travel buddies |




This has to be one of the most amazing things I have ever read!! keep writing Carmen! Somehow I knew you would end up having this type of a life and I am so stoked for you! Congrats on everything - you're a real special person and i take my hat off to you!
ReplyDeleteTruly good stuff! Stay in your adventures... and sharing. You have a gift.
ReplyDeleteSail safe and be fun!
Mike